Monday, August 18, 2008

Tuesday, August 12

As I'm dropped off at the airport, the tension seemed almost too much to handle. I was nervous as hell, and I knew it would be a good three hours before I got another smoke, so I lit up. I was immediately caught by a security guard who very strictly told me that the smoking area was across the road where people unloaded. I very quickly obliged and sucked down my smoke.

As I boarded my plane, it all seemed too real. Here it is, the day I leave for the Michigan Renaissance Festival. I took my seat and was relieved to find that the man seated next to me was a midget. I knew he would make my flight more enjoyable, because who doesn't love a midget? After the flight attendants lazily went through the procedures to show us how to die in a quiet, dignified fashion, I reached into my bag and got out my copy of the watchmen. I'm 3/4 of the way through it now, and I love it so much. That wasn't too relevant, but I wanted to shout my love for that comic book from a rooftop.

We landed in Detroit right on time, and I actually got to the luggage claim early, which was odd because the Detroit Metro airport is HUGE, and my gate was farthest from the luggage claim. My being early actually scared me a bit, because the fact that I didn't see my luggage made me WAY too paranoid. After I got my bags, I got in Tommy's truck and we made our way out to the Festival grounds.

When we got there, I was pleasantly surprised by the sheer size of the festival grounds. This place is HUGE! Almost every vender booth and restaurant is a permanent structure, and I've only seen about 10 tents this whole time. The campsite is right on the Festival grounds, and when we got there, Tommy's trailer was already set up, and soon my tent was, too. I got my own little secluded area between some trees, and the entrance is a few branches arced over one another, making a little grotto. I have since named it Thorny's Grotto, and my tent is "Casa de Thorny". We set up a few wooden palettes, and then put the tent on top of those.We lined the tent's floor with industrial camping blankets to give it a bit of a cushiony carpet. We went to Wal Mart afterwards and picked up a few things, including props for the show, basic camping supplies, and an air mattress. When we got back, we water sealed the Casa and started to work on setting up the pit. We stapled in a tarp and talked about nothing for a while, had a good time. I met Skutar, the guy I'm working with, he's awesome. Met some other people, too, including my neighbors, who are all old school hippies and rock. One guy even told me he was at the Grateful Dead's last show. That's awesome.

When we got back from the pit, it was around 7 o'clock. I started to watch the Squidbillies, but inevitably passed out.

No comments: